Monday, October 21, 2013

I Got Joy Joy Joy Joy Down in My Heart!

Have you ever woke up in a great mood ready for the world then someone forces you to go off on them because they cut you off on the freeway? Or your co-worker that is not your favorite gets on that last nerve you reserved just for them? Or your kids just refuse to cooperate or behave anyway like you have showed them to be the proper way? What is the first things we say? Now see you have messed up my entire day! Or he/she has pulled me out of my happy place…OR the Devil always stealing my joy. Those are just to name a few. But my question to you is this...Can someone truly steal your joy or do you give them your joy or feel good moment?  I used to work for a place prior to my current position and initially I loved what I did. I didn't have to talk on the phone much at all. I did most of my work through the systems set and email. Anyways back to my story. We switched supervisors and to put it simple she lacked the skills that any professional should posses. She would refer to us as b*****s when she talked to us. I remember her specifically saying, “I know you b*****s went and reported me!” I just sat and turned to the rest of my co-workers with the reply, “She must be talking to you b*****s because she is NOT talking to me!” She and I clashed quite a bit because of her mouth and lack of professional behavior. I must admit there were a few days that all sense of pleasure I had doing my job disappeared. I would wake up thinking of excellent call in excuses, and when I was at worked I stayed plugged in to my headsets with them on blast for my entire day just so I didn't have to hear her voice at all. I tried talking to her superior, and even meeting with her and someone else mediate but nothing seemed to help. Then one day I recall her saying that she knows I am mad at her every single day. It was kind of funny because when I made this next statement I didn't realize how true it was. I replied, “I don’t care enough about you to allow you to have me mad daily!” Of course when I said it I meant for it to sound as mean as it came out but it was true. No I didn't wish her any harm or any of that, even if at this point I thought about causing her some myself. I did however realize that I was in control of my own feelings and happiness and by allowing her to cause me such stress was giving my power over my own emotions away. WOW! Who wants to give someone like that their power? Not me. I purposely made myself be in a happy place in my head even though it seems I was in the pits of hell daily at work. It was the best thing I could do for me. I was able to smile and say good morning to her in the morning and mean it. I could communicate with her and I even would head special days for her such as bosses day or her birthday when no one else ever wanted to. I even would listen to her talk about her guy problems. (yes I know!) So I am telling this brief story to say we control how we feel and how we allow others to make us feel. No one can steal your joy, not even the devil. If we lose it, it really is because we gave it away. So the next time someone is ruining your day, morning, moment, or ENTIRE week…remember that you can stop that at any point. Keep your Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check : So how has everyone been doing with their altitude? Yesterday I did a brief post on how ...