Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Call

Disclaimer: This is a long testimonial story so I will break it down into different blog writings daily.  Anyone that knows me knows I  have always wanted to be a mom. Even now I would love to have one more, and if I would have stayed married I surely would have a house full. Given various situations I never thought I'd have children of my own so when I found out I was pregnant the first time with Caleb to say I was shocked would be an understatement. I was so glad God blessed me with the ability to carry and bare two children the very first thing I did when I had chance once the hospital room was cleared was thank God and give them back to Him so that He could guide me in this very hard role called parenting. I have done my best to always raise them as respectful children and I pray regularly for them to make wise choices. An anyone that talks to me regularly knows I have a wonderful support system that I call THE VILLAGE(the kids dad Arthur,  Ma, Daddy, Sis and Brother) to help me stay sane and to help me. I remember what I was like at their ages (12 and 17) and the challenges I faced so I know it's imperative to keep them covered in prayer because I never know what they may encounter in a course of a day. On April 23rd I received a call from my children's school which was a basic recorded message saying the school was having a random drug search and the children are on lock down until the search is done but to not be alarmed. Immediately after that call I received another call from the vice Principal saying I need to come to the school immediately regarding my son Caleb(17). The first thing that came to mind was that maybe my son had marijuana. I didn't believe Caleb was on drugs but it isn't uncommon for kids to experiment right? I rushed to leave work and frantically first called my sister, no answer. Then I called Momma...no answer. Next on the list was Daddy and he answered. I told him about the call and he said he would meet me at the school. I'm all ready to lecture my kid about smoking weed and I pull up and there are police everywhere. I get out of my car and I'm sure my face was puzzled at why in the world there was so many policemen for a little weed. An officer verified who I was and began to tell me that they found a 40 caliber loaded gun w hollow point bullets in it with one in the chamber in his floor board AND the gun was stolen out of Benton. t My only reply was EXCUSE ME WHAT? The officer repeated his statement and I immediately looked at Caleb to see what his eyes would tell me. He shook his head to say it wasn't his gun. A gun? I wasn't prepared for that at all! Where would my kid get a gun from and why would he need a gun? Was he in a secret gang? Did we miss something that was going on? Was he being bullied? Shortly after Daddy showed up and I told him what they said and his face was just as puzzled as mine. They gave me the keys to my son's car and told me they weren't towing it. (Blessing) But of course they were arresting Caleb. I called his dad to tell him what happened so he could meet me.frantically started calling my mom and sister and sending text messages as to what was happening. I still couldn't get anyone to answer so I called one of my close friends because at this point I was beyond frantic. I didn't know whether to believe Caleb or strangle him. I am not a parent that ever likes to say what my kids will never do because lets be honest we have all done things our parents probably never thought we would...it's called free will so I just was unsure what to believe. We all (the village) met at the police station, and at that point we all had mixed emotions about what was going on and so many questions. Finally the officer came to get me since Caleb is a minor they couldn't question him without me present. Caleb said it wasn't his gun, he doesn't know whose gun it is. He did admit that he never locked his doors because he was too lazy to. His story didn't waiver or change. He willingly took a dna test to prove he never handled the gun. The detective kept saying that Caleb didn't fit the bill of what they usually see and he really didn't believe it was his gun but that he knows whose it was. Caleb said he had no clue. I gave him the DON’T TAKE A CHARGE FOR SOMETHING YOU DIDN'T DO talk. He continued to say he wasn't and he absolutely had no idea. I believed him but I also realized that things were really serious. Because not only was it a gun but a stolen one as well. The more the detective talked to Caleb the more they realized his character but their hands were tied because the gun was in his car. Daddy came up because Caleb asked could he talk to him and he told him the same thing he told us that he didn't do it and the gun wasn't his. My dad believed him. The detectives started trying to call the prosecutor to ask if they could just release Caleb to me instead of him being locked in juvenile all weekend because he truly seemed like a good kid. The prosecutor said no not only would he have to go he had to stay until Monday because all of them were at  conference. My child had never been away from me in a strange place he didn't want to be. He never waivered the or even cried all he kept saying was it's not his gun and he didn't know whose it was. Of course when I had to tell everyone Caleb had to stay there were lots of tears. I couldn't allow myself to be overly emotional all I could think of is how can I get my baby home. The detectives let my mom go back an again Caleb pleaded his innocence. They called for transport and I was trying to get Ma and Joanna (my sister) out before they came through with Caleb in but I was unsuccessful and it was so sad to see that and my mom an sister broke down. Caleb asked the officers could he hug my sister so she knows he is ok and they let him. We all met at my parent's house and decided who we would and wouldn't talk to about it. The list was very short. I realized that I have quite a few friends who just talk too much so I didn't feel comfortable even talking to them an then there's the ones that always look for anything they can look down their noses at. We didn't need any extra drama or questions as it was. We went just in time to the school to get the car because the media was like hunting dogs chasing a rabbit. I was so overwhelmed and worried about my baby an then I had  strange number calling and when I answered it was a reporter. I was too exhausted and handed the phone to my Daddy. He told her we will make a decision whether we want to issue a statement. The phones were ringing with people who knew kids who went to Caleb's school and obviously told them what happened but it's funny people that never call all of  sudden calling as if they weren't calling  to be nosey. We still said nothing. My daughter started hanging up on her that were calling fishing for information. We decide to issue a statement from the family stat Caleb's innocence and caliber. We were grateful later for the opportunity because that reporter was the ONLY reporter who told the truth. The other stations seemed to have wrote their own story because I suppose the truth wasn't good enough. They weren't able to release his name but they released everything else plus some of their own extra lies with it. I couldn't believe that day was happening and only could pray for my son's protection and livelihood.  God remember  how I gave you my babies back right after you blessed me with them. He is yours please watch over and keep him. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check : So how has everyone been doing with their altitude? Yesterday I did a brief post on how ...