Thursday, June 4, 2015

Long Weekend

After channel 16 and 4 reported the story with our family statement, without lies, while the other stations were making up story lines we sat and purposely decided who we would and wouldn't tell. Other than my friend I initially called, and my supervisor I hadn't told anyone. I didn't want people asking me questions or making judgements or speculations. We knew Caleb would be home Monday so we especially didn't want people messing with him or saying stupid things people tend to do. When I sat there I realized I literally had a hand full of people I would tell. Not that my friends aren't my friends...just some of them talk too much. I had to think how helpful they would be in the situation...it boiled down to five of my friends and 1 church member that I would tell. They were my additional sanity. They did just what I needed. Meanwhile, Thursday night I received a text from Caleb's best friend that pictured another boy they went to school with that Caleb was friends with. The picture was of the boy holding a gun that he posted on Instagram. Caleb's friend said that he believes the gun was this boys and that he never liked the boy but Caleb still tried to be the boys friend. We became hopeful that the gun was the one they found in Caleb's car and that maybe we could get Caleb home Friday morning. We disbursed and went home on a high note that we could show this to the police and get Caleb home. The next morning we went to the police station and they said they had already received the picture from the vice Principal at the school and it was NOT the same gun. Sigh....they wouldn't even investigate any kind of way to see if there were prints on the gun that were someone else's even after I explained what's all of the kids were reporting about this other child that Caleb tried to befriend despite of the other kids not wanting to be bothered with him. After leaving the police station we started making calls and talking to people in law enforcement that we knew or anyone we knew that was an attorney. We knew a prosecutor and he basically told us that the ONLY thing the law has to prove is that the gun was in Caleb's car whether it was his or not since it was in his property the charge was on him.but he asked us has Caleb been in trouble before and was he a good kid. We told him no trouble and normal good kid. He told us to get letters attesting to Caleb's character from as many people as possible to present and see if Caleb could get what they call a pass meaning as long as he doesn't get in trouble for a year it will be dropped. So I started to rally as many sources as I could for character letters. I told his best friend. He told the kids and teachers at the school. It was the sweetest thing to see so many kids coming together and boldly asking their parents and teachers to write letters so Caleb could come home. I'll talk more about the letters tomorrow. We were told we could see Caleb from 1-5. I couldn't wait to see him because I really wasn't sure how he was. His dad had stayed with me I'm sure to watch how I was and we barely closed our eyes let alone rested worrying about Caleb's night and having to tell him he couldn't come home until Monday. As soon as one o'clock came I was there with Ma and Daddy. Arthur had an errand to run right quick and was headed there since we had 4 hours we thought. We were in this small room with two other parents and their children. Caleb came out in a orange jail jumpsuit and we smiled at him and told him how  awful that color was on him. He laughed. Then he said I JUST GOT THROUGH READING THE BIBLE AND PRAYING WITH MY CELL MATE RIGHT BEFORE THEY CALLED ME OUT HERE WHAT YAWL BEEN UP TO? I just looked at him in amazement. We all responded WORRYING ABOUT YOU! His response was a slight chuckle and he said I'M OK DON’T WORRY ABOUT ME GOD HAS ALREADY TOLD ME WHY I'M HERE AND HE IS GOING TO WORK IT OUT AND I BELIEVE HIM. DON’T WORRY I'M  OK. I again was amazed at Caleb's calm spirit and responses. Who knew he had such faith. He told us how he and the guy that he roomed with were reading and talking about the bible most times and other than being bored and wanting to go home he was fine. He was on a 48 hour lock down since he was new.We started telling him how the news 7 and 11 were making up stories and I asked did they question him some more or something and they had NOT. I asked him about the boy the kids were saying did it and Caleb wasn't sure who would do such a thing to him because he didn't have issues with anyone but he prayed whoever it was didn't do it again and turns their life around. He also said he refused to point fingers at anyone without knowing for sure because he wouldn't want anyone in that situation if they didn't do anything wrong like he hadn't. I was amazed because honestly that would not have been MY reply NOW let alone 17. Thirty minutes later they told us our time was up. Come to find out visitation was from 1-5 for 30 minutes only. His dad didn't make it to see him but at least we knew he was ok and is far better spirits than we thought he would be. He told us AGAIN to not worry because he wasn't. I kissed my son and told him I'd see him the next day. Another restless night and Saturday came. Arthur wanted to be sure to go so he could see Caleb since he missed Friday. We all met went to the door and was met with a sign on the door that stated "Weekend visits have been canceled" WHAT?????? I won't get to see my baby until Monday!? There was no explanation of why but we found out later that evening the PARENTS had been up there fighting so they locked it all down for the weekend....AGAIN I SIGH... Arthur was especially hurt an just kept saying I haven't seen my baby since THURSDAY! But there was nothing we could do but go home and pray his safety the next two days. I did thank God for letting me see him Friday and knowing he was okay. Arthur's birthday was on that Sunday and he went to church and got back in bed. I was barely eating without someone forcing me let alone sleeping. We all went to church missing Caleb's voice while we sang and back to my folks house to exchange more information. This was the longest weekend ever but God gave me just enough peace of mind when I saw Caleb to get me through it. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check : So how has everyone been doing with their altitude? Yesterday I did a brief post on how ...