Sunday, June 7, 2015

Courthouse Miracle

Once the probation officer told me the public defender would be back the next week I began to call her....and call her AND CALL HER. I called that woman every single day for a month. I never would get anything more than her voice mail and no returned call.  How in the world will she be able to defend Caleb if she has no idea who he is? I was irritated that I had to basically have a child on punishment that did nothing wrong other than leaving his car door open. He hated not going to school. I was irritated with everyone...the schools...the attorneys...everyone and all Caleb would say is THEY ARE JUST DOING THEIR JOBS. IM NOT WORRIED IT WILL BE FINE.  I was glad he remained faithful but I was frustrated beyond measure. Finally the Thursday before our court date I randomly called expecting no answer and got her on the phone.  She was very short with me and sounded a tad agitated that I had called her so much. I even ended up telling her that I was TOLD  she is a good attorney so I am asking questions based on that not to be annoying. She got kind of quiet and asked WHEN CAN I MEET CALEB. This is where my mouth couldn't match my thoughts because all I could think of is how I had been trying to call her for a month and Caleb has been available...she was the one out of pocket! I digressed and set an appointment for 2 that Friday. The next day Ma, Caleb and I went to meet her. She was 15 minutes late, walked in talking on her cell and didn't speak nor apologize for her tardiness. She came back to the door and said Caleb's name. I stood up with Caleb and she said no just Caleb. I know my face looked funny because it took me off guard. But when she asked me WHATS THAT FACE FOR? I really was irritated. All I could think was about how Caleb represents himself  and how I didn't want to tarnish that. I let it go. About 30 minutes later she came and got me and Ma. Her attitude was a lot better which I was glad of and assumed after she talked to Caleb she knew he wasn't a thug and realized her demeanor was not necessary. She explained she basically went back on vacation when she came back from Europe which she had been gone a month...then came back for a day or two and left again for two weeks. So she was behind. I understood her position but honestly that was not my problem because my kid had court Monday. I asked her about dna she said it was irrelevant...I asked her about the other boy we had received pictures of with a gun on Instagram nope she hadn't heard of it...sigh...she really didn't know the case but she did know the law and in short said Caleb  would get the charge for possession since the gun was in the car. I explained to her how the school had even released the boy from attending Lisa because they saw the Instagram post. I asked her about the character letters and she said they were nice but his character didn't matter...just the law. I was just hurt at him possibly having to have a charge on his juvenile record. He is at a crucial planning period granted college doesn't check juvenile records but he is also considering air force and they do! But I prepared myself and my family. Right before we left the attorney asked if I could get the vice principal to come testify at the last minute. We left the office and not long after I got to my folks house the vice Principal called ME. She was irritated that the prosecutor called to ask her to testify that  Caleb had the gun. She told her that she won't ever say anything that will hurt Caleb and the gun isn't his. I asked her to please come. She agreed and met us at the court room and stayed the entire morning.We sat for about 2 hours after and the attorney finally came to get me, Arthur and Caleb and told us the prosecutor offered a deal for Caleb to get a pass where as long as he doesn't get in trouble the next year all charges will be dismissed!! No probation...no probation officer...just keep being good. THIS is the very thing Garanimals laughed in my face when I ask d her about last time we were in court. Out attorney didn't even mention it as a potential result. Everyone kept saying his character was irrelevant all that mattered was the law. But when the prosecutor stood up to announce the plea she stated that she doesn't believe it is his weapon. After the judge okayed it all and set a court date for a year from now. Caleb went and thanked the prosecutor and shook her hand..she replied I heard you are a good young man so you are welcome. When we went out Caleb's attorney said out of 15 years she had NEVER saw that happen with these kind of charges. She was shocked. I was so happy and told her it was all God. When we left I asked how Caleb felt and all he said was God told me He was allowing this to happen for a reason but He would get me out of it so I never was worried because He has ME. Amen Caleb Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check : So how has everyone been doing with their altitude? Yesterday I did a brief post on how ...