Saturday, December 14, 2013

Fools and Babies


I remember when my son Caleb was 2 years old or so my husband, me and the kids were headed out when someone ran smack into us. The impact was very hard and shocking. Add to that I had never been in a car where the air bag deployed. If you have ever had the experience it can be real frightening when it pops out there is a loud noise in the mist of that smoke comes out. I remember seeing all of that and thinking the car was about to explode. I started screaming, “MY BABY!!!!” I jumped out, opened the back door, and yanked Caleb right out of that car seat and took out to running as fast as I could. Keep in mind there were three other people in the car with me and Caleb that not only did I not think about, but made no effort of any kind to worry about if they were safe until it was clear me and Caleb were. My husband jokingly stated how I obviously didn’t care about anyone else in the car but me and Caleb. My reply basically was that was my baby and he was helpless, they were big enough to fend for themselves!  Caleb had no idea what was going on. As a matter of fact that little boy slept through the whole drama including me screaming and yanking him out of the seat. He didn’t wake up until I started to call his name once I stopped running because I then was worried that maybe he was unconscious.  He didn’t miss a beat! I always worried if my child was in danger if I would have the nerve to go in for him. I learned that day even though I thought the car was about to blow up I wanted to get him to safety with me. Being a momma brought a lot of things out of me I never would have thought I had. Survival for me took a different turn to where I was not only responsible for my well being but my child’s well being above myself.  WOW! I have to admit a big part of my leaving and divorcing my husband was the kids and if I truly wanted them to grow up in that environment and the affects it could have on them if I stayed. I loved him so I probably would have tried to stay if it weren’t for them. Even now in my relationship I am conscious of how our actions could affect our children later. From the time they are born you spend the rest of your life trying to make sure they are ok. Magnify that love times a number we can’t even imagine and that is God’s love for us. He takes care of us when we haven’t a clue what is going on and covers us from all harm that we see and that we don’t see.  That is beyond awesome. I remember a saying my both my grannys would use….”God takes care of fools and babies”  I’m so glad of that because I am well beyond being a baby. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check

MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT CHRISTIAN: Altitude Check : So how has everyone been doing with their altitude? Yesterday I did a brief post on how ...